dissabte, 13 de desembre del 2014

WORD CLASS: LINKERS

1. Linkers or conjunctions are words that link sentences and clauses.

2. Sentences can be linked together, as in:

avui tinc feina, però sortiré abans de l‘oficina
today I’ve got pending work, but I’ll leave the office earlier
em compraré aquesta camisa, encara que no me l’he emprovada
I will buy this shirt, though I haven’t tried it on

The previous examples are known as complex sentences, where no sentence is above the other one.

3. The main linkers of this type (coordination) are:

TYPE
FORM
ENGLISH
EXAMPLE
TRANSLATION
Copulative
i
and
tu i jo
you and me

ni... ni
neither… nor
ni tu ni jo
neither you nor me
Disjunctive
o
or
la gent es riu o es queixa
people laugh or complain

o... o
either… or
o vens o et quedes
either you come or you remain
Adversative
però
but
no sóc jo, però podria ser-ho
it isn’t me, but it could be me

sinó
but
no sóc jo, sinó ella
it’s not me, but her
Explicative
és a dir
it means / i.e.
no és d’ací, és a dir, és estranger
it’s not from here, I mean, it’s foreign


4. Clauses are also linked. In that case, sentences possess more than one clause, for which they are known as compound sentences (see here for the different types thereof, which include its main linkers):

no vull que vinguis
I don’t want you to come
si vols alguna cosa, compra-te-la tu mateix
if you want something, buy it yourself

5. However, some linkers also link items within a phrase:

ni tu ni jo no ens entenem
neither you nor I understand each other
aquesta empresa neteja i pinta l’edifici per menys diners
this firm cleans and paints the building for less money

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada